Do you want to gain valuable skills and experience in college while having fun and meeting new people? Consider applying for an internship in TIU’s English Plaza.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the English Plaza?
English PLAZA is an English-only environment where students can come and talk with friends and teachers, play games, do homework, study, and practice English with people from diverse backgrounds. This includes the GTI section of the Library, the 1st floor, and the basement. English PLAZA offers many services for students including English Lounge, Academic Advising, PAW (Peer Advisors for Writing), PEP (Peer English Practice), English Plaza Library, Oregon Cafe, and individual and group study rooms. Students can also check out laptop computers to use on campus from the Front Desk in the English Plaza. To learn more, visit https://tiugti.com/introduction/
What is an English PLAZA Intern?
Tokyo International University provides students with opportunities to become managers and role models on campus. Through these opportunities, students will have the chance to grow personally and professionally in order to become future leaders. In order to achieve this goal, TIU has designed this program to provide guidance for English PLAZA interns, enable creativity, and promote unique perspectives in helping to foster a truly internationally-minded university community.
Why should you apply to be an English PLAZA Intern?
The English PLAZA student internship is designed to help students develop professional skills applicable to future careers, develop personal skills that can help in both academic and everyday life, and improve communication skills in English. Besides completing the duties of each shift in the English PLAZA, interns are required to complete a series of assignments, which are carefully designed for professional and personal development.
Professional Skills: Work Environment
- Customer service
- Event planning
- Technical/Procedural skills
Personal Skills: Effective Communication
- Conflict resolution
- Interpersonal communication
- Listening to comprehend versus respond
- Meaningful interactions
- Difficult encounters
- Positive spin
- Soft skills versus frankness
Personal Skills: Autonomy
- Critical thinking
- Time management
- Goal setting
What does an English PLAZA intern do?
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Check in and check out laptops for students and GTFs
- Assist students and GTFs with Study Booth reservations/GLS room reservations
- Make drinks properly (following Cafe recipe guidelines)
- Record drink orders on Cafe computer system
- Make sure that guests are following rules (e.g. English only, no sleeping, no eating, etc.)
- Rotate around the Plaza
- Maintain good conversation with students in PEP (encourage them to talk as much as possible)
- Always try to be aware of what is going on while working (e.g. guests following rules, if anyone needs assistance, PEP reservations, etc.)
- Count the number of guests every hour and record it
- Have FUN!
Are you eligible to be a PLAZA intern?
- TOEIC score – around 500
- GPA – 2.0 or higher
- Must not be a Senior (unless admitted to graduate school or received job acceptance)
In addition to satisfying program eligibility requirements, applicants should demonstrate the following experience and qualities:
- Willing to learn and grow both professionally and personally
- Able to adapt to different cultures
- Open to change- flexibility
- Preferred: Technology skills
What are the working hours?
Interns usually work around 6-12 hours per week. Interns get to preference the number of hours they work as well as the times.
How much will you get paid?
The pay is 930 yen per hour.
Can I work in another Student Leadership Internship at the same time?
No, if you are chosen to be an EP intern, you must commit only to this internship and not have any other SLI internships (Peer Advisers for Writing, Library, Peer Assistance, J-PLAZA, and Campus Globalization) during the same semester.
How long can I work in the Student Leadership Internship? Is there a limit?
You can work for one semester, with the possibility to renew upon excellent evaluation. You can renew up to three times (this means that you can work for a total of four semesters as an EP intern).
How do you apply?
Who do you contact for more questions?
You can contact the English PLAZA Intern Coordinator Team at: email@example.com